Double Up Food Bucks Outreach AmeriCorps VISTA Member
This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position. Information about this program can be found here: https://americorps.gov/
Are you passionate about local food and improving food access for your friends and neighbors? Are you looking to get into a career in food systems, community organizing, or non-profits? If you said yes to any or all of those questions, then apply to become a Double Up Food Bucks Outreach VISTA member!
Double Up Food Bucks (DUFB) addresses access to healthy foods by offering SNAP participants a $1 for $1 match to buy locally grown produce at participating farmers markets, mobile markets, small retail, and grocery locations. Our VISTA members will be serving in areas with high food insecurity to connect SNAP participants to community services. Embedded within local nonprofit organization AdkAction and part of a statewide team supervised by Field & Fork Network, the VISTA Double Up Food Bucks Outreach Coordinator will focus on expanding access to and utilization of the DUFB program within the North Country region of the Adirondacks and Essex County.
Primary responsibilities of the Double Up Food Bucks Outreach VISTA Member:
- Identify and assess barriers to food access among residents of the greater Essex County region
- Support implementation of a DUFB Community Ambassador pilot project
- Enhance regional network of community partners working to address nutritional security
- Coordinate outreach to increase awareness of DUFB and promote its use
- Provide operational support to existing DUFB retailers to increase utilization
- Identify prospective retailers who may be interested in offering DUFB to their customers and support adoption
AdkAction is a member-supported nonprofit organization whose mission is to create projects that address unmet needs, promote vibrant communities, and preserve the natural beauty of the Adirondacks for all. Our food security work has been addressing food access needs of our communities since 2017 through the expansion of rural grocery access, providing free farm shares to community members, and increasing access to local food for low income families. Learn more at www.AdkAction.org
About Field & Fork Network:
Field & Fork Network is a New York State food and farming non-profit organization that connects communities to innovative solutions that foster a sustainable food system. Our work focuses on four important areas: agriculture economic development, food access, youth development and healthy neighborhoods.
About AmeriCorps VISTA
Since 1965, over 220,000 AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program have joined the fight against poverty by helping local organizations expand their capacity to make change. Through capacity building activities such as fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program serve in an office setting and gain experience and leadership skills. This opportunity prepares members for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle required.
- Understanding of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and proven dedication to alleviating poverty and addressing food insecurity
- Experience gardening, farming, and/or selling produce preferred
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Docs/Sheets preferred
- Previous volunteer experience
- Experience working with marginalized, low-income communities
- Outreach and volunteer management experience preferred
- Childcare assistance, if eligible
- $6,895.00 education award upon successful completion of service for either future education expenses or for payment of student loans OR a cash award of $1,800 upon successful completion of service
- Health coverage
- Living allowance
- Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs)
- 10 sick days and 10 vacation days
- Relocation allowance (if applicable)
- Student loan forbearance and full payment of any interest accumulated during service upon successful completion of service
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Phone stipend
- Food assistance
- Additional benefits to be determined
How to Apply
Please apply via: https://forms.gle/6ZQnm4AkT4zDyoaY9 Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
There are no employment opportunities available with AdkAction at this time.