In 2020 we will choose 10 new community pollinator garden sites to install as part of our hands-on pollinator conservation efforts. We welcome schools, libraries, hospitals, municipal parks, and others to apply. If you have a community site in mind that would be perfect for a pollinator garden, please apply here. The deadline to apply is April 1, 2020.
Adirondack Pollinator Project 2020 Sneak Peak
- March 1- June 5: The 3rd Annual Pollinator Plant Sale featuring native pollinator plants (all free of neonicotinoids) that provide a diversity of nectar and pollen sources for local bees, butterflies, moths, and hummingbirds. Look for the online link to the sale to be announced in early March. This year’s plant sale will also offer for sale a great reference book– Pollinators of Native Plants: Attract, Observe and Identify Pollinators and Beneficial Insects with Native Plants, by Heather Holm. This book has become a “bible” for many pollinator enthusiasts here in the Adirondacks.
- Summerlong: Installation of new pollinator gardens via our Mobile Pollinator Garden Trailer and distribution of a new native wildflower seed packet, packed with 500% more seeds, as well as a new educational brochure.
- June 22-28: National Pollinator Week.
- August 13: The Pollinator Benefit Dinner will be at The Wild Center featuring a multi-course dinner made with locally pollinated ingredients.
- August 10-14: Heather Holm will travel to the Adirondacks this summer to speak our Pollinator Benefit Dinner on August 13th at several other locations in the park about Restoring Ecosystem Functionality and Biodiversity and the fascinating and perilous life of pollinators. Exact dates and locations to be announced.
- 2020 Anti-Roadway Mowing Campaign: we will work with organizations, towns, villages, counties, and officials across the Park to achieve better-roadside maintenance and alter roadside and right-of-way mowing and spraying operations that negatively impact large numbers of native pollinators.
Check the AdkAction Adirondack Pollinator Project website often for additional events and/or email us to be included on the Adirondack Pollinator Program email blast to hear the “buzz” on the many pollinator educational and entertainment programs in 2020.